(AKA not PSII/III/IV/PSO/PSU but the first game that started it all)
WHERE TO GET AND PLAY: For legal options I recommend:
- Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection for both PS3/XBOX 360 which not only gives you the first game but the whole classic series (I/II/III and IV) as well as the first 3 games of the Shining series and also many other great classic SEGA games,such as Streets of Rage and obvious Sonic, for cheap (be aware that you have to unlock the first game though, which really just requires you to beat the first boss of Sonic 2 with 2 players).
- Phantasy Star Collection for GBA if you want the first 3 games on the go and still use your gba/ds i guess
- and on Virtual Console for the WII (and probably WII U???) if you just want the game by itself.
There’s also a re-translation of the first game that is faithful to the japanese text of the original and also a PS2 remake that I HIGHLY RECOMMEND since it updates all the graphics and adds more to the characters.
why u should play???
- Stars Alis aka the first female protag in a rpg EVER!!!!
- Not only is she the main protag but she is also not a love interest or token healer girl nor is on a journey for love or anything
- Game literally starts with her wanting REVENGE on the king of the galaxy after his robot cops kill her bro which later evolves into her saving the galaxy while she’s at it too
- One of the first RPGS to have a sci-fi/futuristic setting instead of a
mostlymedieval one (barely beaten by MegaTen I think), which means LOTS OF SPACE!!!!
- SPACE AND SPACE TRAVEL AND LASER GUNS/SWORDS ALIEN RACES and ROBOTS (though sadly androids don’t truly come into play until games after)!!!!
- Besides Alis your party consists of a talking cat named Myau (pronouced meow), big guy Odin (who Alis could probably beat up), and esper guy whos name is either Noah or Lutz depending on who you ask (read: localization choices and errors)
- some screens:
- You can talk to some enemies and avoid combat
- has 3D dungeons you go through in first person pov
- The music’s still pretty good to this day
- created by a female designer Rieko Kodama
- its not as if PSO2 is coming out here anytime soon if ever so might as well
why u shouldnt play???
- Ugly aged graphics
though better than first ff game
- slow walking speed
- tedious grinding
- other stuff due to limitations at the time
- BUT WAIT: THERE IS A REMAKE (as mentioned earlier) which fixes all of these problems
- Phantasy Star: Generation 1 is the name of this remake, and while it was released only in japan on the PS2, a kind fan went out of her way to translate and make an english patch of it. I recommend 100% if the reasons before and stuff is what’s preventing you from playing. Even if they aren’t, the remake is still a nice play since not only are graphics updated, but it adds more personality to the characters as well as interactions between them and also nice cut-scenes pics like the one above. And just look how
hotnice and cute everyone looks in the remake:
- pls look through this tag for more caps and pls find a copy of the game to patch up and play
- also was just released on japanese psn so if you can read japanese and/or have an account you can get it for 800yen/~8 bucks (???) though could you even patch it
as for other reasons not to play:
- While Alis is main character and also first female protag, she is also only playable female protag in game, rest of her companions are male (there has been some debates about noah/lutz and maybe myau due to localization screw ups though)
- they never look down on Alis or anything and treat her with respect but still
- maybe if you arent keen of the idea of a 3d dungeon in this day and age
- theres really no other reason not to play (besides the fact the series in general might destroy you)
Phantasy Star is generally considered one of the pioneers of the RPG genre with things such as its sci-fi setting and pre-defined characters, animated enemy sprites, 3D dungeons and so on, if not only one of the greatest games of the genre. It’s often overshadowed by rpgs like Final Fantasy and Alis overshadowed by characters like Samus and while the first game isnt my #1 favorite in the series (looks at iii and iv), i still love it and the way alis and friends are still really important in the games after it (not including pso/psu, though they do pay small homages to it from time to time) and just pls play phantasy star, thank you